LOWELL "THOMAS" BUTLER SCHOLARSHIP
Presented by the Oroville Masonic Lodge No.103, F. & A.M. and the American Legion Post # 95
Requirements regarding award:
Applicants must be attending Oroville High School or Las Plumas High School and must have a minimum GPA of 3.2, have a clear educational goal leading to a degree or certificate from a 2 or 4-year College or technical school.
(1) 1 time $600.00 scholarship provided in two (2) separate payments upon proof of enrollment in both the fall and spring semesters
(2) One male
(3) One female
(4) The male and female could be selected from either Las Plumas High School or Oroville High School.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
Required Materials (to be included with all applications)
1. Page #1 – Cover sheet that includes the name of the scholarship and your name
2. Page #2 - Completed Application
3. Page #3 - Student resume or profile
4. Page #4 - Personal statement of educational & career goals (300-500 words)
5. Page #5 - Attach a letter of recommendation from school personnel
6. Page #6 - Attach a letter of recommendation from someone other than school personnel
7. Page #7 - Completed signature page stating understanding all terms and conditions of scholarship
Award recipient will be notified to attend the Las Plumas High School or Oroville High School Scholarship award night. The award recipient will also be notified and asked to attend a dinner at the Masonic Lodge in Oroville with their parent or guardian.
Submit the completed application to the Counseling Office at either Oroville or Las Plumas High School on or before 01 May 2013.
Late applications cannot be accepted.
Please refer to the following pages for application, scholarship terms and conditions and signature page.
I. SCHOLARSHIP NUMBER AND AMOUNT:
The LOWELL "THOMAS" BUTLER SCHOLARSHIP shall award two (2) scholarships. Each scholarship shall be for $600.00, payable at $300.00 per semester.
II. USE OF THE SCHOLARSHIP:
The scholarship is to be awarded to worthy recipients who will pursue a course of study leading to a post secondary degree or certificate from a 4 year college, university, 2 year college or commercial or trade school. The school where such studies are to be pursued shall be accredited and/or approved by the State Department of Education in the state, which the institution is located.
III. SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY:
To be eligible for the LOWELL "THOMAS" BUTLER SCHOLARSHIP applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Have demonstrated average or better than average academic ability as evidenced by a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or better for 9th through 12th grades in high school.
2. Have clearly stated a personal educational goal.
3. Provide two (2) letters of recommendation.
4. Have demonstrated a sense of responsibility and self-motivation as evidenced by service to the school or the community.
5. Provide an official school transcript.
6. Complete the essay questions on the application.
IV. SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION:
1. Scholarship application forms may be secured from either Oroville High School or Las Plumas High School Counseling Office. Completed applications must be typed and submitted to either Oroville High School or Las Plumas High School Counseling Office on or before April 13th of the year of application for the applicant to be considered for the scholarship.
V. SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE:
The scholarship committee shall be composed of the following:
1. One or more representative of the Masonic Lodge No. 103, F. & A.M. and one or more representative from the American Legion Post # 95.
2. Should a member of the scholarship committee be related to an applicant for the scholarship, that committee member is to be excused from deliberations for that year.
3. Decisions rendered by the committee shall be final.
VI. SCHOLARSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. The scholarship shall be awarded annually.
2. The award may be used only to defray expenses incident to the student’s attendance at a 4-year college, university, or 2-year college or commercial or trade school.
3. The recipient must maintain at least a 12 unit per semester load or be certified as a full time student in a program leading to a degree or certificate. Recipients must send official transcripts of record to the high school you attended (Oroville or Las Plumas High School) to verify that all requirements for continuation of the scholarship, as outlined in this document, are met. It is the responsibility of the recipient to secure this verification and submit it to high school you attended in a timely fashion, otherwise payment of scholarship funds will be withheld. The scholarship is valid only while the recipient remains in good standing at the school of attendance.
4. Each scholarship shall be for $600.00 yearly, payable at $300.00 per semester.
5. Should injury or illness cause a student to withdraw from school the award may be held (upon request by the recipient) for a period not to exceed one year.
6. The scholarship must be used in the semester or quarter immediately following its award and the recipient must attend continuously without interruption except as described above.
LOWELL "THOMAS" BUTLER SCHOLARSHIP AGREEMENT:
1. The applicant named below has received a copy of the LOWELL "THOMAS" BUTLER SCHOLARSHIP Rules, has read these rules and understands all the obligations and responsibilities imposed on recipients.
2. It is the applicant’s responsibility to submit an application form for the scholarship by April 13th annually. Failure to submit the application will result in forfeiture of the scholarship.
3. The applicant agrees that he/she agrees to furnish either Oroville or Las Plumas High School with a grade report, transcript of credit or verification of enrollment for each term attended during scholarship term, and to provide a class schedule for the ensuing term.
4. The applicant understands that, if he/she fails to use the scholarship in the semester or quarter following receipt or interrupts his/her schooling for other than medical or military service reasons, he/she forfeit the scholarship.
Name of Applicant (please print): ____________________________________________________________
Signature of Applicant: _________________________________________________________
Name of Parent/Guardian of Applicant (please print): ____________________________________________
Signature of Parent/Guardian of Applicant: __________________________________________